Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tony Campana

A couple of weeks ago, I sat down and began writing about Tony Campana. I was going to write about how I thought it was a mistake to keep him off the big league roster. I got sidetracked, and never finished the post. Since then, we traded Marlon Byrd, and Campana got the call-up.

At the time, I felt that even if his batting average and on base percentage wasn't where the Cubs wanted it to be, he still held a lot of value as a late inning pinch runner. I felt that even if this was all he had to give, he still held more value as a bench player than almost everyone else on the bench. You put Campana on first base, and there's a really good chance he will become a run scored.

Now of course, Campana got the call-up, and he's fulfilled that value and more. He's scored 7 runs in 9 games so far and is 7 for 7 in stolen bases. He brings a unique talent unlike anyone on the Cubs roster. The Cubs actually have a winning record in games he's played in. He's exciting to watch and I think he brings an excitement to the Cubs that has been lacking all season.

I say, let him settle in as our everyday center fielder and the Cubs will win more games.

No comments:

Post a Comment